Thursday, June 16, 2005

Something I Made


Everyday Matters Challenge #19
In college, I took jewelry making. I thought that I'd end up teaching secondary kids, and learning jewelry seemed much more fun and useful than pottery. Wrong on so many counts.

My jewelry teacher (who attended the same middle school as I) told me a rule of thumb that held true. It takes about three times longer than you think it will to make the object you really want to make.

These earrings took that long. I was obsessed with the comic Sandman at the time, and the character of Death. In that comic, Death is a cute girl who dresses in black with heavy eye makeup and wears an ankh. So, I made her eyes as earrings out of silver. Sterling silver wire, two gauges, and silver disks in the center.

My instructor insisted that putting the earrings into the tumbler to polish them wouldn't damage them at all. Wrong also. One of the wires broke, so I have a pair of earrings that I made but can't wear.

Drawing in Pilot Razor Point (again), took about 40 minutes 'cuz I did it twice. This is the second version.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea to see the earrings you made, held by a hand that helped make them! Nice drawing. (I just added your link to my new links list on my blog!)
Laura

www.laurelines.typepad.com

June 16, 2005 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh very nice! I too love that you included your hand!

June 16, 2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I really love the way you've drawn the hand holding the ear-rings. Great!

June 16, 2005 4:24 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Three times longer to make something than you think it will -- that sounds about right, or even a little bit on the conservative side! How many unfinished projects do most of us have lying around because we found out it took JUST TOO LONG to finish!? Great drawing, love you hand with it! Great earring design, also -- You should try them again!

June 18, 2005 6:03 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you.

My computers-in-art teacher used to say the same about estimating time to finish a project.

I'd love to try the earrings again, but right now I've got no torch or other soldering equipment, and I should probably use some of my hoard of other drawing/art making implements.

June 18, 2005 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home