Friday, June 17, 2005

Self Portrait


Illustration Friday - Black and White
I've been experimenting with some photographic self portraits recently, like Cindy Sherman. I love to dress up, but don't often put on costumes except for Halloween.

I was looking at a Kevin Aucoin book the other day. He's done some amazing makeup transformations. So I got out some of the makeup that I never use, and also a scarf someone bought me that I thought hideous. It's gold and black with stripes and leopard spots. Not my style at all, but little kids and their parents give weird gifts to their teachers.

I made myself up to look a bit like Clara Bow with heavy eye makeup and tiny lips. I took some digital photos in the mirror, but since I don't have three mirrors and four hands some of them had weird angles in them. I quite liked the angle of this photo, but decided to run it through some software with filters.

So, color digital photo, with a Thumbs Plus drawing filter, and Photoshop torn edges filter. The torn edges really seemed to create a mood.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

You fashion vamp! I'm really impressed with your computer skills. This looks so current but also very 30's retro.
Lindsay

June 17, 2005 2:59 PM  
Blogger Dummiest popcorn girl in the world said...

I just wanna say : Wo-oooooo
so cooooooool!!!! *-*

June 17, 2005 6:17 PM  
Blogger Dean said...

This is really cool. Really, really cool.

June 17, 2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Melleners said...

It's beautiful. It really looks like it's from the '20s.

June 17, 2005 10:20 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you.

June 18, 2005 2:45 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Gorgeous!

June 18, 2005 6:32 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Very, very cool, Kate. I am in awe.

June 18, 2005 8:27 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Clara Bow, indeed! It turned out great - very, very cool.

June 19, 2005 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just so cool! The idea (made up yourself, take picture, etc) is very cool too!

June 22, 2005 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home